Love Your Leather
At Cockpit USA we proudly regard our leather jackets as timeless heirlooms, made to be worn, loved and then passed down throught the generations. However, we know the jackets are likely to be exposed to fluctuating temperatures, harsh weather conditions and changes in environment over the years. Luckily, we have composed a simple guide on how to protect your leathers from the cruel clutches of the elements and make your bombers last a lifetime. When preparing leather, there are three points to remember:
- Keep it clean
- Keep it dry
- Keep it protected
- Never apply bleach, alcohol, household cleaners, turpentine, mineral spirits, waxes or silicone to leather.
- To maintain its shape, hang leather jackets on wide, padded hangers. Avoid plastic bags and only use breathable garment bags for ventilated storage.
- Store leather jackets in a naturally dry environment to protect from excess humidity and the build-up of mildew.
- If the jacket is stored in an excessively dry environment, condition it regularly to prevent the leather from cracking.
- Remove salt deposits immediately using a damp cloth, then follow with the cleaning, drying and protecting procedure.